Alice's Palace has it all - relaxation, location, ambience &
having a tipple around the BBQ in a native bush garden,
listening to the surf roll in.
Or sitting in front of a big gas log fire, in
a gorgeous place, enjoying your favorite wine.
Alice’s Palace is a 2-minute walk to the lifeguard-patrolled family-friendly surf beach. The Barwon River is a 5-minute wander. Shops,
bars and restaurants are a 10-minute stroll.
Wineries, boutique breweries and loads of other cool things
to do are on the doorstep (see list below).
The light, airy, contemporary design of Alice’s Palace
creates a relaxed atmosphere for a great getaway.
Perfect for work, rest and play all year-round.
Everyone welcome including small groups/friends,
families with kids, work/business travellers, couples/dates, LGBTQI, and special occasion/wedding
- 3 bedrooms
- 2 bathrooms
- Gas log fire
- Air conditioning & ceiling fans
- Fast Wi-Fi
- Office nook with lots of natural light & outlook
- BBQ & outdoor seating
- Car parking
- Well equipped kitchen
- Clothes washing/ironing facilities
- Bathroom essentials
- Child high chair
- Travel cot
- Bedding (pillows, doonas & cotton blankets)
- Full length mirror (great for wedding guests)
- Linen and Bath Towel Package and beach towels can be provided (fees apply).
plan well-equipped kitchen, dining and living area with gas log fire, 55" TV, Bluetooth sound-bar, DVD player, air con, ceiling fans and a bathroom.
3 bedrooms with quality mattresses, a bathroom, balcony and a great office space to work, create or play, with fast Wi-Fi. Has reverse-cycle air con and ceiling fans.
arrangements sleep up to 7 (see images):
- Main bedroom - 1 QS
- 2nd bedroom - 2 long Single beds (over 2 mt long) OR 1 King Size bed
- 3rd bedroom - 1 QS bed
- Travel cot and a single futon mattress suitable for a child/teen are also available.
Note: we no longer supply linens and bath towels, providing guests with the option to BYO (the cleaning fee has been reduced accordingly).
A Linen and Bath Towel package can be provided (2 pillow slips per person, sheets, tea towels, bath towels, bath mats and hand towels). A fee of $18 per person per stay applies. Beach towels (Turkish cotton) can also be provided at $5 each. Please let us know at the time of booking if these are required.
Alice's Palace is
on the beach side of the main road, well-away from traffic, in Ocean Grove's 'golden triangle'. It has a natural bush secluded beach-side
ambiance with shade trees out the back and lawn out
Ocean Grove is on the Bellarine Peninsula, adjacent to the Surf Coast and Great Ocean Road.
- less than 1.5 hrs from
- 20 minutes' drive from
- 40 minutes' drive from
- Feel free to book direct and save
- Prices vary considerably between peak/off-peak, so please contact us for a quote
- GST does not apply to Alice's Palace
- A (fully refundable)
security deposit of $600 applies covering damage, theft, excessive cleaning required (in insurance exclusions "poor housekeeping or unhygienic living habits"), non-return of keys or compromised security
(see 'Restrictions' below)
and insurance excess arising from any claims related to the booking.
- Security deposit return is
transacted within 24 hrs of confirmation all is ok by cleaners. Allow a
few days for banks to do their thing.
Name, address, phone, email and verification (sighting drivers license/other)
is needed, same as bookings made in a quality m/hotel/resort
- A 50% deposit is required to secure a booking, unless a 100% up-front payment is required (if the booking is made within 6 or 12 weeks of the date of arrival - see dot points below
- Bookings to be paid in full 6 weeks prior to arrival, excluding the peak times 18 Dec - end Jan and Easter-Anzac Day period.
- Bookings made for the peak season: 18 Dec to end Jan and Easter-Anzac Day period, to be paid in full 12 weeks prior to arrival.
- Non-smoking (including e-cigarettes) from boundary to boundary. Please wander off-property for a smoke. Please dispose of butts thoughtfully.
- No pets
- No parties/schoolies
- Please respect neighbours re noise
- Park in parking spots indicated for home (the lawn is human-friendly/a car-free zone)
Remove boots before entry.
Shoes off at the door would be great too (bring flip-flops/spare socks)
- Pop your boards/kayaks in lock-up under-deck storage area (please don't bring them inside)
- Keep property in a manner that does not encourage ants/pests, maintaining housekeeping and hygienic living habits
(see 'Bookings' above)
- Do not allow kids to jump on couch/beds or
consume food or sugary drinks upstairs/in bedrooms
- Take due care to ensure Alice's Palace and contents and/or neighbouring premises are not damaged or subject to theft.
Ensure Alice's Palace is secured upon departure - as you would in your
own place when departing. And pop key back where it belongs, ensuring
The Fine Print
- In the event of damage or theft arising from your booking,
in excess of the security deposit paid, you are liable for additional costs,
same as you would be if you booked at a quality m/hotel or resort.
- We take guest security seriously, so if the key is not secured or
not returned, lock barrels will be replaced using guest security deposit.
(see 'Bookings' and 'Restrictions' above)
- In the event of adverse conditions
damage observed upon arrival, breakages during your stay or issues arising), please advise us promptly. If we don't know about it, we can't fix it.
Minimum stays apply
(2) two night min. stay applies to most times.
(3) three night min. stay applies to most other public holiday/long weekends.
(4) four night min. stay over Easter (and Australia Day 2021, because it lands on a Tuesday, 26 Jan, 2021)
(7) seven night min. applies to Christmas & first 3 weeks in Jan.
- feel free to inquire about shorter stays (they often open-up late between longer stay bookings)
All bookings made within the booking period that incur cancellation fees (see below) have 24
hours from the time of booking to cancel their booking free of charge. i.e. 24 hr free cancellation window.
Periods except 18 Dec to end Jan and Easter:
cancellation up to 6 weeks prior to booking. In the event of cancellation by
the guest within 6 weeks of check-in, 50% of total booking is not refundable unless
the house is re-let for the entire period.
20 Dec to end Jan and Easter:
Free cancellation up to 12 weeks prior to booking. In the event of cancellation by the guest within 12 weeks of date of arrival, 100% of the total booking is not refundable unless Alice's Palace is re-let for the entire period.
All efforts will be made to enable Alice's Palace to be re-let for cancelled period.
Any alterations must be agreed to in writing.
Victoria's best kept secret
Ocean Grove main surf beach (a 2-minute walk from Alice's Palace) is widely regarded as the most family-friendly surf beach in Victoria.
- It's an ocean beach (not a bay beach), so you
get real surf pretty consistently
- The waves aren’t ‘bone-crushing’ like most
other Victorian ocean beaches
- Great for learners to learn how to surf and learn surf etiquette in a relaxed environment
- It’s patrolled by surf life savers throughout
summer/to end Easter/extended according to public needs.
- It rarely has seaweed (and when it does, it’s
- There are no rocks. They’re about 700mt down
the beach at low tide, heading towards the lighthouse
- It has a lawn and an elevated promenade for a
great view of the beach and surfing. It’s handy if you’re injured or elderly and can’t walk
on sand. Or you just prefer to lay your towel and self on grass!
- You can buy
great coffee and food at The Dunes. The Dunes (post-redevelopment finished late 2019) is now absolutely sensational :-), and you can watch the surfing and surf in comfort 'rain, hail or sunshine'.
- It’s cleaner than bay
beaches because it’s not in a city-engulfed bay. It faces the open sea
& King Island.
- It has a river (Barwon
River) for sheltered ‘flat-water’ fun,
a 5 minute walk via inland short-cut or
a 25 minute wander along the shoreline.
- 1.4 hrs from Melbourne GPO, about 20
minutes from Geelong and 40 minutes from Avalon Airport.
Things to do
Explore awesome wineries & boutique breweries (often with live
music). Great wine tours available from Wilsons Wine Tours www.wilsons.wine
- Great whiskey and gin distilleries open to the public too!
- Perfect surf & river spot for swimming, surfing, boogie
boarding, kayak/canoeing, kite-surfing, skim-boarding, sail-boarding, sand-castle building, beach cricket and volleyball, frisbee playing, fishing...
- Sensational walks/run along the beach and up the Barwon River, over the footbridge to Barwon Heads. Also walks on dunes tracks with great views
Long walk to Point Lonsdale lighthouse along beach in opposite
Explore rock pools on the way
watching May to early Oct
- Fish off the Ocean Grove beach or in the Barwon River. The jetty and boat ramp is upstream.
- Snorkel/dive (all levels) the HMAS Canberra warship scuttled 2009, close-by or snorkel with seals and dolphins
- Swim, canoe, paddleboard or sailboard the sheltered 'flat water' of the Barwon River
- Cycling is undulating (contact us for some great cycling route maps)
- 16 golf courses within 35 minute drive radius. One is 10 minutes' walk. Some golf courses are world class. Many are open to
groves & farmers markets
- Great local cafes & bars
- Fantastic hatted (fine-dining rating) restaurants close-by
- Learn to surf, kayak or paddle-board - all ages
- Great launch point for exploring the Great Ocean Road
- Bay cruises
- Fishing tours all levels and boat charters
- Scenic joy flights from sedate to acrobatic
- Skydiving (pick-up Barwon Airport, drop zone Torquay)
- Horse riding all levels
- The famous Blues train (book ahead) runs nearby.
We've compiled a list of web links for awesome places to go, so feel free to contact us and we'll happily share it with you.